Thursday, April 6, 2017

Another jaunt on the Waterford Greenway

Another week and another jaunt on the Waterford Greenway and thankfully these longer runs only get easier over time.   On Thursday last I went out for another run on the greenway, this time I started at the WIT Carriganore campus and headed off towards Kilmacthomas and ran around 4miles past it (15miles in total) and then 15miles back.

An enjoyable run for the most part but the conditions were pretty crap throughout the entire run with mist, wind and rain. But I had packed accordingly for bad weather and was very thankful for my jacket.

One thing that was slightly annoying but not at all surprising is part of the greenway past Kilmeaden is currently closed due to works that are still underway. I say I'm not surprised by this because when I visited the greenway 2x weeks before it was "officially opened" this entire section was still mud with no fences etc.

When I headed off for the 30mile run I expected this so when I was asked to detour I wasn't pissed off, however the same couldn't be said for other greenway users who according to the workman I was chatting to gave them abuse about the need to detour off the greenway track. 
Kilmacthomas Railway Viaduct

After the 30mile run I took it easy with only a very handy 2mile run with the dog the next morning. On Saturday there was no run but on Sunday a fast 11mile run with Mossy who's also a member of the local athletic club.

This fast 11mile wasn't the plan to begin with as the pace started slow enough with 8min/mile but by the end the overall average had dropped to 7.30min/mile and a several of the miles were sub 7:00min/miles. I certainly felt this effort so soon after the 30mile run on Thursday!

Overall while it hasn't been a massive mileage week it was pretty good and I felt the training is bringing improvement which is only a good thing.

On Monday evening I brought our dog Buffy to the local wood for her usual run and she managed to run straight into me at full speed knocking me to the ground in the process where I hit my left knee on a rock      So for my troubles my knee was really sore on Monday evening to the point where it hurt to bend it, a few days on its not too bad as it's just a little bruised but its not hurting much otherwise.

While due to shifts at work I'm not getting many pre-work runs done during the week I'm still managing my long slow runs.

Of course getting the long runs each week is important as I have a nice long run on the 15th April as I'll be running the entire Waterford greenway out and back which will clock in at 60miles (approx 98km) so it'll be a good day out and it's looking like they'll be a nice group of us running the route together.

The entire route we'll be running can be seen below, anyone interested in joining us can visit the Facebook event page

Entire greenway route

In general, if you're interested in running, walking or cycling the Waterford Greenway then I'd recommend that you checkout the greenway website. It has lots of helpful info including a useful Greenway App which allows you to very easily find all the parking locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment